It’s time to celebrate, and you need a bold, beautiful dessert to symbolize your excitement for the day….whether it’s a holiday like the 4th of July, or a Summer birthday, or a get-together with your favorite potluck friends. But wait – you want to keep it healthy, because you know one of your guests is trying on a vegan diet, or avoiding gluten, or a recovering sugar addict…..or maybe you just want to avoid the sugar crash that sends everyone into nap mode after your big feast —- You need the Healthiest Cake in the Universe!!!
- 1 watermelon
- Birthday candles
- Fresh berries (optional, for garnish)
This “Cake” is Good Source of:
- Potassium: we need more potassium than any other vitamin or mineral!
- Vitamin C: essential antioxidant that supports healthy gums and immune function
- Vitamin A: the beta carotene in watermelon is an antioxidant, as well as a source of Vitamin A for healthy eyes & immune function
- Vitamin B6: essential for protein metabolism
- Water: fruit counts towards your 8 cups/day!
- Lycopene: antioxidant with potential anti-cancer properties; lycopene (and beta carotene) get stored in our skin, where they can serve as a very mild sunblock, and even make you more attractive to the opposite sex!!
- Citrulline: speaking of sex….this amino acid (protein) found in incredibly high amounts in watermelon, has given watermelon a unique reputation as “Nature’s Viagra“
This recipe is way to easy! All you do is:
- Slice a 1-2 inch thick cross-section out of the whole watermelon
- Place your watermelon slice (cross-section) on a serving platter
- Garnish with colorful berries
- Insert a few candles.
- Sing Happy Birthday!….or light the sparklers!
Yes, you can slice and eat the “cake” but I usually plan to have a separate platter of watermelon ready to go, because the cake gets wax on it, and also I like to preserve the celebratory vibe of this creatively healthy cake…..so I use the remaining watermelon to slice/cube/ball/etc. for easy serving.
Sliced watermelon is a great dessert by itself, and it pairs nicely with an assortment of party beverages: white wine, hard cider, cocktails, seltzer, all pair nicely with watermelon…. (much better than a typical cake does)…. there are so many more ideas for Watermelon Desserts here.… if you want to take it up to the next level!
This recipe is:
Vegan, Gluten Free, Paleo, Low Carb, No Added Sugar, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat, Non-GMO, Sugar Free, Grain free,Vegetarian, Healthy, Delicious